Agenda for Everglades Coalition Glades Economics Panel
Saturday, January 10, 2009
10:45 am -12:00 noon (75 minutes) Concerto C Room
Hilton Miami Downtown
1601 Biscayne Blvd. Miami, FL 33132
Restoration and the Economics of Glades Communities:
Inland Port, Biofuel and Compatibility of Restoration
Exploring some of the proposed economic development ideas to offset the U.S. Sugar purchases and establish a positive future for the Glades communities that are consistent with overall restoration goals, including overall economic diversification of the region.
Charles Pattison, President, 1000 Friends of Florida, as moderator
1. Moderator: purpose/panel introductions — looking at economic development ideas to offset the U.S. Sugar purchases and establish a positive future for Glades communities that are consistent with overall restoration goals.
2. Local economic perspectives. Mali Chamness, Mayor of Clewiston.
Economic diversification for the region/benefits of middle class magnets.
3. Inland Port considerations. Carl Baker, Port of Palm Beach.
Siting, description, regional effect, process, status.
4. Biofuel considerations. John Capece, Caloosahatchee River Citizens Association.
Big picture of biofuels including possible effects on restoration, GW, economics.
5. Ecotourism considerations. Carson Turner, Hendry County Commission.
Need for tourism infrastructure, restoration tourism benefits, economic diversification benefits.
6. Land Use issues. Lisa Interlandi, Everglades Law Center.
Possible restoration conflicts/compatibility of various options and planning needs.
7. Moderator/remaining time for questions.